There’s a lot to think about when you’re in the market for a reefer trailer. Whether you’re a newly minted owner-operator making your first purchase or a seasoned pro needing to replace an old trailer, you’ve got lots of questions to ask, inspections to complete, and documents to review. Another consideration you’ll have to make is whether to buy new or used. Here are 5 key benefits of choosing a quality used trailer.
- Save money. New reefers are expensive, which poses a significant barrier to entry for new owner-operators and trucking companies. With a quality used trailer, you get the pride and benefits of ownership for less money, which means you can get on the road and start earning revenue sooner.
- Lots of choices. Pedigree offers a wide selection of reefer trailers from reputable manufacturers including Wabash, Walker, and Utility. You have the flexibility to choose the size, cooling capacity, and other features you need to carry the cargo you’ll be hauling.
- Quality. Look for a dealership that invests in routine inspections and preventive maintenance. At Pedigree, for example, every used trailer in stock is kept in pristine condition through regular upkeep and a detailed maintenance program.
- Durability. It’s a myth that you have to buy new if you want to run the trailer for a long period of time. The fact is that a well-maintained used trailer can potentially last you10 years or more, depending on road conditions, driving habits, and routine maintenance. If the trailer is in good condition at the time of purchase, and you follow best practices when it comes to day-to-day usage and maintenance, it can give you many years of profitable service.
- Fuel efficiency. Another reason some are tempted to go new is the desire for fuel-efficiency — both to save money and comply with regulations. But many used reefer trailers come with features like fuel-saving skirts and aerodynamic designs. And many well-maintained used trailers can be updated to meet your efficiency requirements. Ask about fuel-saving options available with any trailer you’re considering.