How to Buy a Semi Truck and Get Your Money’s Worth
What do I need to know?Before you even begin to seek out semi-trucks, you should start with several important questions:
- What are you using the truck for?You should have an idea of the purpose of your truck before buying. Are you going to be taking this truck across the country with heavy loads or only working a regional route with lighter loads? Are you going to buy a new or used semi-truck? This can impact factors you would want in a truck.
- What is my budget/price range? The last thing you want is to fall in love with a certain truck only to find out it’s outside of your price range. By establishing a budget or price range early on you can prevent yourself from paying more for a truck than you want to.
- Where are you looking? There are several options for buying a semi-truck, including buying from someone else or buying from a dealer. Buying from a dealer may mean more options available, whereas buying from another person may be more convenient for you.
What should I look for?Once you’re in front of a truck, you should be asking for several key pieces of information. First, ask for information regarding the history of the truck:
- Why is this truck for sale?
- How often did the truck have oil changes?
- Has the truck been in any accidents?
- Does anything currently need to be replaced?
- Has the truck had any major issues?
- Do you have any documents listing the owners of this truck?
- Is there any rust on the body of the truck?
- Are there any cracks on the tires?
- Does the engine smoke or make any strange noises?
- Are the brakes fully functional?
- Will the axle properly support your load?
- Are the truck seats in good condition?
- Do all of the lights work?